Updates regarding COVID-19- 3/25/20
As of March 25th, in light of Governor Mill’s order, GAHS is still operating in a limited capacity and is considered an essential business to help animals. We continue to embrace social distancing to help keep our community members as healthy as possible, and remain closed to the public through April 30. As an essential business, we are conducting adoptions and fostering through online and phone, with limited in-shelter time to meet the animals by appointment only to limit the number of people in our facility at any one time.
Please know that our hard-working team of staff are still here caring for our animals daily and we’re doing all we can to ensure that they stay healthy. Our staff numbers are smaller than normal, and we have asked volunteers to stay home, so please be patient with us as we adjust our operations and find the best path forward.
Please note that Robin’s Dog Park on Strawberry Avenue in Lewiston is also closed until April 8th.
While the COVID-19 impact in Maine is rapidly changing, we want to share with you some changes that we are putting into place so that we can continue to serve the pets and people of our community while keeping our staff, volunteers, and clients protected.
PLEASE STILL ADOPT!
Our animals will be far happier at home with you! If you are interested in adopting an animal, we will be doing adoptions by appointment.
- You can view our adoptable animals at: https://gahumane.org/adopt/
- Please fill out our online application if you are interested in adopting. A GAHS employee will contact you shortly to go over adoption details, begin the matchmaking process, and schedule a time to visit. Visits are currently being scheduled on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays.
- Questions? Email email@example.com or call 207-783-2311.
- Animals in need of emergency surrender and stray intakes will continue to be accepted. If the need to surrender your pet is not urgent, we ask that you wait to bring in your animal for at least a few weeks, to allow us to ensure room for emergency cases. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 207-783-2311 to schedule an intake appointment.
We are currently taking new applications for temporary fostering. Our biggest need right now is for cat fostering. If you have a spare room for a cat or two, please fill out the simple application and a team member will be in touch with you shortly.
Fetchin’ Food Pet Pantry
Clients of our pet food pantry can still receive food on Tuesdays from 9am to 11am.We will have an outdoor set-up to help folks maintain a safe distance, while still accessing services.
Donations are Still Greatly Needed
- Items can be purchased on our Amazon Wish List and be delivered to our facility
- If you have purchased items to drop-off, there is a donation bin located at our front door. We are no longer accepting used linens at this time.
- Financial gifts are greatly needed and can be made using the form below.
Special Events and Activities Cancelled through April 8th
- All dog training and socialization classes, and yappy hours are cancelled. Please contact email@example.com to hear about rescheduling and get a new spot reserved for any currently paid spots being cancelled.
- Puppy Yoga on March 29th has been cancelled. We will be in touch with all registrants to reschedule a make-up date(s).
- Humane education visits have been cancelled.
Thank you for your understanding, patience and support as we continue our work on behalf of animals and the people who love them. Together we can stay healthy and keep our most vulnerable community members safe.